clynley

The Somnambulist: A Novel
Jonathan Barnes
Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition
T. Colin Campbell, Howard Jacobson

Ender's Game (Ender Wiggin Series #1)

Ender's Game (Ender Wiggin Series #1) - I didn't fully warm up to this book until after the main character, Ender, left military school. I didn't like the brutality of the school and the Lord of the Flies-esque interactions between some of the boys. It was pretty disturbing that it was happening to children as young as 5 or 6. But I did really like the end of the book. I don't want to give it away because the end was unexpected (in a way, though looking back I think there was definitely a foundation for it). My one quarrel with the book is the role of Ender's parents. Ender is one of three brilliant/genius children, yet the parents seem both completely disengaged from the children and easily duped by what is going on with the older two (who have taken on false identities and become leading political pundits at the ages of 11 and 13). The parents seem absurdly dumb to have produced three geniuses. I know that the story was really about the children but it would have been more believable to me that the parents were deceased and completely out of the picture instead of what they were.